The proposed adoption of the rates listed below is scheduled for Monday, April 11, 2022 at 7:00 p.m., Council Chambers, 1049 State Avenue, Marysville, WA.
New Rates effective May 1, 2022:
|Garbage Cart Size||Cost Per Bill - Every 2 Months||Cost Per Requested Additional Pickup||Garbage Container Size* (Once a Week Collection)||Cost Per Bill Every 2 Months||Cost Per Additional Container Pickup|
|36 Gallon Weekly||$33.81||$7.33 Cost Per Pickup for Each 32 Gallon Equivalent||1 Yard Container||$243.80||$30.48|
|64 Gallon Weekly||$69.98||1.5 Yard Container||$331.17||$41.39|
|96 Gallon Weekly||$106.14||2 Yard Container||$420.31||52.54|
|20 Gallon Weekly||$23.36||3 Yard Container||$575.56||$71.95|
|Low Income Sr/Disabled 20/36g||$19.87||4 Yard Container||$641.98||$80.25|
|36 Gallon Once a Month||$7.21||6 Yard Container||$871.73||$108.97|
|Walk Up Service Weekly/Monthly||$11.00/$2.75||$2.75||8 Yard Container||$1,130.49||$141.32|
|*For compacted sizes, rates are 50% more for the same size of uncompacted|
|Recycling Cart Size||Cost Per Bill - Every 2 Months|
|96 Gallon Cart||$31.38|
|2nd 96 Gallon Cart||$10.54|
|Low Income Senior/Disabled 96 Gallon Cart||$21.96|
|Recycling is picked up bi-weekly|
|Yard Waste Cart Size||Cost Per Bill - Every 2 Months|
|96 Gallon Cart||$34.68|
|2nd 96 Gallon Cart||$9.25|
|Yard Waste is picked up weekly from: 3rd Week of March until 3rd week of November.||For months of December, January, and February yard waste is picked up once a month on 3rd full week.|
Frequently Asked Questions:
- WHY ARE RATES INCREASING?
- For many years the main recycling processor has been the Chinese government. In 2018 the Chinese government significantly limited the recyclable materials it will accept from foreign nations. Since this ban, recycling disposal rates have risen to recover the increased cost of the disposal of the recycled materials. Recycling companies cannot rely on selling recyclable materials to cover their costs so they are raising their contracted rates.
- The increase in fuel costs for the City and Waste Management has also led to the need for the rate increase.
- WHY IS THE RATE INCREASE HAPPENING NOW?
- The City has effectively managed costs for the past 10 years and has not had a solid waste rate increase since 2012. Due to the rise in fuel costs and the shrinking global market for recycled goods, it has become more expensive to dispose of the material that is picked up from customers.
- The City of Marysville contracts with Waste Management to provide mandatory recycling service and optional yard waste service for City of Marysville residents. Our current contract ended on August 31st, 2021. Due to the global climate of recycling, our new contract with Waste Management has a significant increase in cost which Waste Management chose to pass on to new contracts. These increased contracted rates took effect as of September, 2021. Since then, the City has not passed on the cost increase to customers, but this has eroded the City’s reserve. The City can no longer absorb this cost as it could affect the capital for replacing garbage trucks and our ability to deliver solid waste services in the future.
- HOW MUCH WILL MY BILL BE INCREASING BY?
- The majority of our customers have a 36 gallon garbage cart ($30.76 bi-monthly), 96 gallon recycling cart ($18.46 bi-monthly) and a 96 gallon yard waste cart ($20.40 bi-monthly). The rate for these services currently is $69.62 per bill (bi-monthly).
- After May 1st, 2022, the new rate for these services will be as follows: 36 gallon garbage cart ($33.81 bi-monthly), 96 gallon recycling cart ($31.38 bi-monthly) and a 96 gallon yard waste cart ($34.68 bi-monthly), for a total of $99.87 per bill (bi-monthly). This is a total increase of $30.25 bi-monthly ($15.125 per month).
- WHEN ARE THE RATES INCREASING?
- The City Council will be considering the proposed rates on April 11th, 2022. The rate increase will be effective as of May 1st, 2022.
- WHAT CAN I DO TO REDUCE MY BILL AMOUNT?
- You can change out your current can for a smaller sized can. We offer 20 gallon, 36 gallon, 64 gallon and 96 gallon can sizes.
- You can discontinue optional yard waste service.
- You can change your garbage service collection frequency from weekly to monthly.
- Please contact our office at 360-363-8001 or visit our website www.marysvillewa.gov to make any of the above changes.