News Flash

City news releases

Posted on: April 11, 2018

Marysville forwards criminal justice tax measure for August ballot

MPD badge new

In the August 2018 primary election, Marysville voters will be asked whether they support an additional .1% sales tax (one-tenth of one percent, or 10 cents on a $100 purchase) to build a new Police Services Building including jail that would replace a facility built in 1986 that is undersized for our growing city’s current and future needs. The City Council at its meeting Monday evening, April 9, unanimously approved submitting this ballot measure for a public vote. 

The Marysville jail is only one of two misdemeanor jail facilities in Snohomish County and an integral part of the city’s public safety strategy. Without such a facility, Marysville Police would lose the ability to immediately arrest individuals for most misdemeanor crimes. 

The current Public Safety Building was built in 1986 and funded through a voter-approved bond that was paid off over 30 years. At time of voter approval, the city had about 8,000 residents. Now Marysville has 67,000 residents, is one of the fastest growing cities in the state and is expected to maintain rapid growth in the years ahead. 

If voters approve, the .1% sales tax increase could provide the city about $800,000 in annual revenues, about 70% of the estimated annual debt payment of $1.138 million for a bond-funded new Police Services Building. The remaining 30% of the debt payment would come from the city’s General Fund. 

“Over the next few months, we will work hard to provide as much information as possible to our public on the proposed building and its role in community safety,” said Gloria Hirashima, Marysville’s Chief Administrative Officer. 

You can find more detailed information about the ballot measure and proposed project at Ballots are due Aug. 7. 

Additional Info...
Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in City news releases

Pump track coming to Marysville

Posted on: February 2, 2023

City opens temporary garbage drop-off site

Posted on: December 21, 2022

Marysville remembers 9/11

Posted on: September 1, 2022

Mayor’s Coffee Klatch returns May 2

Posted on: April 12, 2022
Ken Baxter Community Center: Thanks for the memories!

Community Center moving in 2022

Posted on: April 28, 2021

Fake Police calls are a new scam

Posted on: April 8, 2021
Shred-A-Thon May 8, 10 a.m.-Noon, Marysville City Hall, 1049 State Ave.

City Shred-A-Thon returns May 8

Posted on: April 7, 2021

First Street Bypass opens to traffic

Posted on: October 2, 2020
Scairpon-official crop

New Police Chief coming to Marysville

Posted on: September 10, 2020

A message from the Police Chief

Posted on: June 4, 2020

Residential garbage service changes

Posted on: April 3, 2020

Youth Fishing Derby canceled

Posted on: March 27, 2020

City acts in response to COVID-19

Posted on: March 12, 2020

Property tax information

Posted on: February 5, 2020

Marysville Police host blood drive Dec. 30

Posted on: December 11, 2019

Blood drive Feb. 20 at Marysville Library

Posted on: February 13, 2019

Grove Street night closures Dec. 2-14

Posted on: November 26, 2018

2019 hotel/motel grant applications open

Posted on: September 5, 2018

Donate blood, be a hero Sept. 5

Posted on: August 27, 2018
Teri Lester

Marysville welcomes new HR Manager

Posted on: June 15, 2018