Public Defender information
How to get a public defender
- Complete a paper application
- Complete an online application
- Bring the required documents
- Attend public defender screening
A screener will determine if you qualify for a court-appointed public defender but you must bring the required documents listed below with you. If you do not qualify for a court-appointed attorney you may chose to privately hire an attorney to represent you. Court staff by law cannot give legal advice or refer you to an attorney.
You must attend the public defender screening process. You must appear in person within seven (7) days of your arraignment.
Please bring your completed application and required documents to the front counter. A screener is available Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Required documents for public defender screening
- Any papers received with court dates and charges
- Employment information
- Self-employment information
- Unemployment information
- Public Assistance, Social Security or Veteran's Benefits
- Interest Income, Inheritance or Settlements
- Proof of basic living expenses (rent/mortgage, utilities, phone, car payments etc.)
- Proof of any other unusual living expenses (medical/dental bills, collection debts etc.)
- Documentation of any personal items of value